United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions issued a memo Thursday morning to all United States Attorneys, that he is changing federal enforcement policy effective immediately.
Earlier Thursday, the Associated Press reported from sources that anticipated this memo.
The Department of Justice issued a statement regarding the memo:
The Department of Justice today issued a memo on federal marijuana enforcement policy announcing a return to the rule of law and the rescission of previous guidance documents. Since the passage of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in 1970, Congress has generally prohibited the cultivation, distribution, and possession of marijuana.
In the memorandum, Attorney General Jeff Sessions directs all U.S. Attorneys to enforce the laws enacted by Congress and to follow well-established principles when pursuing prosecutions related to marijuana activities. This return to the rule of law is also a return of trust and local control to federal prosecutors who know where and how to deploy Justice Department resources most effectively to reduce violent crime, stem the tide of the drug crisis, and dismantle criminal gangs.
“It is the mission of the Department of Justice to enforce the laws of the United States, and the previous issuance of guidance undermines the rule of law and the ability of our local, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement partners to carry out this mission,” said Attorney General Jeff Sessions. “Therefore, today’s memo on federal marijuana enforcement simply directs all U.S. Attorneys to use previously established prosecutorial principles that provide them all the necessary tools to disrupt criminal organizations, tackle the growing drug crisis, and thwart violent crime across our country.”
Follow all of The Cannabist’s Cole Memo coverage
- What now? Experts weigh in on potential impact of Sessions’ rollback of marijuana policy
- “Extremely misguided”: Cannabis industry and policy groups weigh in on news of DOJ guideline shift
- Trump administration must battle public opinion, economics in attack on marijuana
- Cannabis stocks plunge on news that Sessions is shifting marijuana policy
- The text of Jeff Sessions’ memo to rescind Obama-era marijuana policies, and the DOJ statement
- “This is outrageous”: Politicians react to news that A.G. Sessions is rescinding the Cole Memo