Timing really is everything when it comes to edibles.
I have a New Year’s Eve modified food plan for all of us with two tasty treats — one is an infused appetizer to whip up with your cannabutter stash, one’s a weed-free parfait. No pressure, of course. Just a gentle nudge.
I don’t mean to sound too technical, but, in order to be in the canna-zone when the clock strikes 12, you want to consume an edible about 60-90 minutes earlier.
No guarantees, but more than likely that is the time frame. I am suggesting you prepare these two recipes, eating the infused one around 10:30 p.m. At midnight, after all the hugging and hand-shaking, this dessert, eaten while under the influence, may well be the highlight of the New Year.
I infused this cannabutter with the delightful hybrid Grape Skunk, a new strain for me that I adore. No, I don’t taste the grape, but I do get super stoned and personally think that I am hilarious. And I don’t care that nobody else thinks so.
“Special” Cheese and Crackers
Serves 6, 2 each
Note: The caraway seeds are a great addition, but other cheeses will work as well. Try a goat cheese or a manchego.
12 mild tasting crackers
2 tablespoons cannabutter, softened
12-18 thinly sliced, small pieces of Havarti cheese with caraway seeds
2 tablespoons fig jam
1-2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1. Place the crackers on your work surface. Place a half-teaspoon of butter in the
center of each cracker.
2. Top the butter with pieces of cheese. Place a half-teaspoon of fig jam on top of the cheese. Top with the walnuts.
Ricotta Orange Cream Parfait
2½ cups fresh ricotta
½ cup crème fraiche
6 tablespoons fine sugar, or 4 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 oranges (I used Cara Cara); collect the zest from one of them before peeling and segmenting
2 tablespoons good quality honey
1. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, crème fraiche, sugar and vanilla.
2. Zest one of the oranges before peeling and cutting. Add to the ricotta mixture and stir to combine.
3. Place a few of the orange segments in each of the 6 glasses and top with some of the ricotta mixture. Add a few more segments and add more ricotta. Top with a couple of orange pieces.
4. Drizzle with the honey and serve.