Cannabis and chocolate are always perfect together — for the holidays, though, it’s time for a peppermint twist.
A couple of nights ago I attended an Oregon canna-ball. The venue was kind of a big nothing, but that night it was completely transformed into a sparkling celebration of this fast-growing, long-overdue journey into the wonderful world of legalized weed.
There were slinky gowns and a suit with marijuana leaves all over it. Big spiky heels. Big hats. Lots of vape pens.
THC potency in edibles: A guide for calculating the THC dosage for home recipes
10 top recipes: Our most popular infused recipes, from pot brownies to mac and cheese (plus our cannabutter how-to)
Ask The Cannabist: Cannabutter recipe debate — to use water, or not?
NEW: Get podcasts of The Cannabist Show.
Subscribe to our newsletter here.
Watch The Cannabist Show.
My always-helpful assistant Mary and I made the desserts for this event, and I thought I would share the most-requested recipe: peppermint white chocolate brownies.
These brownies bring together two of the world’s most wonderful foods — white chocolate and cream cheese. The fact that they find each other in this recipe is sheer bliss.
I did a bit of research and asked 27 friends a question: If they were going to make this recipe, would they make the brownies from scratch or use a mix? All but three said they would use a mix.
The three bakers would certainly have their own recipe for special brownies. Email me if you want mine (address in the bio below) — or check out this excellent from-scratch killer triple-chocolate brownies recipe.
Happy Holidays, but mostly… Peace on Earth.
Cannabutter how-to: Making the best cannabutter on the planet is easy with this 7-step guide
Peppermint white chocolate brownies
Makes 24 servings
Two 20-ounce boxes of brownie mix
1½ cups white chocolate chips
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup cannabutter, softened
¼ cup regular butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped peppermint candy
Strain showcase: Some of the many we’ve reviewed — Jilly Bean, Sour Diesel, Red Headed Stranger #14, Green Crack, Headband, Poochie Love, Flo, Stevie Wonder, Alien Napalm
1. Pre-heat oven to 340.
2. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the two mixes and follow the package directions, doubling everything. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
4. Bake the brownies according to the directions. Allow to cool before cutting.
5. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the cream cheese, cannabutter, regular butter and vanilla. Add the sugar and beat till fluffy.
6. Beat in the powdered sugar.
7. Cut the brownies into 24 pieces and spread each piece with the frosting — prettier presentation this way. Sprinkle with the crushed peppermint.