It’s 4/20 week, and the state of Colorado is preparing for what could be the biggest influx of marijuana-based tourism ever seen.
We at The Cannabist have been prepping for this all year, and whether you’re an in-the-know Coloradan or a first-time visitor from out of state, consider this little piece of the Internet your best friend for the next week.
We’ll tell you where all the hot shows are, the lowdown on the annual 4/20 Rally, the news on High Times’ annual Cannabis Cup, some invaluable lodging tips and advice on shopping, getting around town and entertaining tykes amid all the smoke.
So without further ado …
1. EVERY 4/20 EVENT IMAGINABLE. From the rally and the Cup to concerts featuring Snoop Dogg, Cheech & Chong, Slightly Stoopid, Matisyahu, Leftover Salmon, Wyclef Jean, Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe, Ice Cube, Julian Marley, KISS Army, Talib Kweli, Paper Diamond, Tauntaun, B Real (of Cypress Hill), Method Man/Redman and many, many others — not to mention 420-friendly art classes, brunches and city tours — see our comprehensive event guide. Check it.
2. CURATED 4/20 SCHEDULE. If you don’t want to wade through the 45-plus events in the above listing, let Cannabist pot critic Jake Browne take you through his perfect holiday with this special 4/20 edition of his Hitting the High Spots column. Check it.
3. COMING IN FROM OUT OF TOWN? Where should you stay, eat and shop while in Denver — and how can you safely get around? Cannabist style writer Katie Shapiro chipped in with a super-handy guide for visitors — and her selections all but guarantee a fun and safe trip. Check it.
4. GOING TO THE RALLY? The Denver 4/20 Rally is often called the largest in the world. See for yourself at Civic Center on April 19-20. Is public smoking legal at the rally? No. But will police be issuing mass citations for public consumption? Not likely, as they’ll be focusing on public safety. Check it.
5. DON’T HAVE A HOTEL YET? HURRY! This first 4/20 after legal recreational weed sales began is a big, big deal. The folks at hotels.com shared data with The Cannabist that said hotel searches in Colorado on 4/20 weekend are up 78 percent from 2013. So if you don’t have lodging, hurry it up already. Check it.
6. DON’T LEAVE YOUR LEFTOVER WEED AS A HOUSEKEEPING TIP. It’s often common for vacationers to leave leftover beers or food in their hotel rooms as a tip to housekeeping staffs. But after one man left an eighth of weed in his Denver hotel room as a tip, he was charged $200 for in-room smoking — something he claims didn’t happen. What went wrong? Check it.
7. FUN FOR THE KIDDOS, TOO. While most 4/20 activities are not safe for children, there’s plenty happening around town for people with kids. From 5Ks, block parties, brunches, pet expos, cultural festivals and Easter Egg Hunts (it is Easter on Sunday, natch), there will be plenty of opportunities to entertain the little ones. Check it.