Emergency rooms in pot-legal states are busier than ever with marijuana-related visits, statistics show. Doctors and other experts talk about health issues linked to marijuana use, including the little-known cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS).
Josiah M. Hesse is a Denver-based journalist primarily covering politics, comedy, marijuana and pop culture. His work has appeared in Westword, Splitsider, Laughspin, Out Front Colorado, The Spit Take, Substance, Vice, Noisey, Colorado Public Radio, Birdy and Suspect Press.
Recent posts by Josiah M. Hesse
About an hour after I ate some potent Colorado pot edibles with writer Dan Savage, we sat down for a deep talk on sexuality, weed, bestiality and politics.
When the inspiration for the Coen brothers’ cult classic “The Big Lebowski” comes to Colorado, kooky Jeff Dowd makes a memorable, if muddled, impression.
When shopping for pot, it’s simple to grab a sativa for energy or an indica for sleep. But trying to do the same with edibles is impossible. And here’s why.
Is it worth it for black market growers to click off their lamps and go work for the man? Even if they tried to go mainstream, are employers in the legal industry motivated to hire them?
Outside of reggae music and pot smoking, mainstream society is mostly ignorant of the rich and eclectic history of Rastafari, a Hebrew-Caribbean hybrid of faith and culture.
You’re an adult now, and this is the legalized era: Getting high is no longer anything to be ashamed of. Isn’t it about time you came out to your parents as a pot smoker? Situations like this require some finesse.
Where a buzz hits you can tell you a lot about what you’ll be in for. Here, the 303 Kush sat in the center of my head — right behind my eyes — and camped out. This is the kind of “Magic Eye High” where you find yourself looking at something, but also through it at the same time. And, to be fair, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Get The Cannabist Newsletter
- 1New details emerge in 11-month-old Colorado boy's death linked to marijuana
- 2Couple sues after cops arrest them for hibiscus plants mistaken for cannabis
- 3Here are the new rules for legal marijuana in California, effective Jan. 1
- 4With Denver's ban on 4/20 rally organizer upheld, lawyer vows to fight any similar marijuana event
- 5Wyoming, bucking national trend, moves to tighten marijuana laws
- 1Ask The Cannabist: How do I calculate THC for making homemade edibles using BHO?
- 2Marijuana concentrates 101: Shatter/BHO, rosin, kief and more
- 3Concentrates 101: Why vape or dab? Potency, flavor & other factors
- 4Cannabis philanthropy helps heal Drug War wounds
- 5Bipartisan “Path to Marijuana Reform” bills introduced to decriminalize, protect, regulate cannabis industry