In Whoopi Goldberg’s debut column for The Cannabist, the entertainer shares her vape pen’s many virtues: “My vape pen and I maintain a mostly private relationship. Her ability to help me live comfortably with glaucoma makes her one of the more important figures in my day to day.”
In 2002, Whoopi Goldberg became one of a very elite group of artists who have won the Grammy (“Whoopi Goldberg,” 1985), the Academy Award (“Ghost,” 1991), the Golden Globe (“The Color Purple,” 1985 and “Ghost,” 1991), the Emmy (as host of AMC’s “Beyond Tara: The Extraordinary Life of Hattie McDaniel,” 2002 and a Daytime Emmy for “The View” in 2009) and a Tony (Producer of “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” 2002). She is equally well-known for her humanitarian efforts on behalf of children, the homeless, human rights, education, substance abuse and the battle against AIDS, as well as many other causes and charities. Among her many charitable activities, Whoopi is a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations.
Whoopi has appeared in many films such as ““Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Sister Act,” ““Corrina, Corrina,” “Boys on the Side,” “Eddie,” “The Associate” “How Stella Got Her Groove Back,” “Girl, Interrupted,” and “Rat Race.” She has voiced characters in such animated features as “The Lion King,” “Racing Stripes,” “Doogal,” and “Everyone’s Hero.” She was part of Tyler Perry’s all-star film adaption of “For Colored Girls…” and will be seen in the upcoming Lifetime Original Movie, “A Day Late and a Dollar Short,” which she also executive produces, as well as Paramount/Nickelodeon Movies’ “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” which opens next Summer and the feature film “Big Stone Gap.” She produced the documentary short, “Coach,” about legendary coach C. Vivian Stringer, for ESPN’s “Nine for IX” series. She produced and made her directorial debut with the documentary, “Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley,” which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival and premiered on HBO in November 2013.
On television she has appeared on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” hosted her own syndicated late-night talk show, starred in the NBC sitcom, “Whoopi,” which she executive produced, as well as the television movies, “It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie” and Showtime’s “Good Fences,” which she co-produced with co-star Danny Glover. She produced and appeared on Nick Jr’s “Whoopi’s Littleburg” and guest starred opposite Benjamin Bratt in A&E’s “The Cleaner”. Whoopi most recently had recurring roles on ABC’s “666 Park Avenue,” and in the FOX comedy series “Glee.” She currently appears on ABC’s Emmy Award-winning “The View,” for which she has won a Daytime Emmy Award.
As she has in every other facet of her career, Whoopi has made her mark as a producer on television and on Broadway including SISTER ACT, which is currently playing throughout the world. In 1992, Whoopi made her debut as an author with her first children’s book, “Alice.” Her second literary endeavor, simply entitled “Book,” became a bestseller in the U.S. and around the world. Hyperion Books published “Whoopi’s Big Book of Manners” in 2006 and launched the “Sugar Plum Ballerinas” book series for young readers in 2008 with “Plum Fantastic,” followed by “Toeshoe Trouble,” “Perfectly Prima,” “Terrible Terrel,” “Sugar Plums to the Rescue!,” and “Dancing Diva.” “Is It Just Me?” is her most recent book for adults.
Among her many awards and honors, Whoopi has placed prints of her hands, feet and braids in the forecourt of the famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the Kodak Theatre.
Recent posts by Whoopi Goldberg
Vaporizers and electronic cigarettes, which have experienced an explosive growth in popularity in the last few years, are beginning to face stiff resistance in Colorado as an increasing number of communities crack down on the battery-powered devices.
Healing touch: Topicals can provide pain relief, among other benefits Sponsored by The Green Solution
Rubbing hemp oil or cannabis salve on a sore back may not be the first image to come to mind when someone hears the term, “medical marijuana.” However, topicals play a crucial role in pain management.
Employment law vs. legalization Sponsored by The Green Solution
More illegal than pot? 5 weird Colorado laws Sponsored by Altitude Wellness Center
From seed to weed: What does it take for your green to grow? Sponsored by The Green Solution
Two hits of the Grape Stomper and I had a very Headband-esque buzz pulsing through my face and body, with my mind racing and everything else coming to a screeching halt. It was as if I was the guy revving his engine at a stoplight that wasn’t turning.
Killer Queen is a mostly sativa hybrid that had my husband and I kind of wiped — in a good way, but still. Here’s our killer pot brownie recipe. Serve them up with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Remember when N.J. Governor Chris Christie dissed Colorado’s quality of life? In April, Christie was talking on a radio program about how marijuana will never be legalized in New Jersey under his watch.
Get The Cannabist Newsletter
Staff picks on the Web
- Five questions: Why your marijuana isn't always what budtenders say it is
- High Scores: Fear of an online planet, or why I hate multiplayer video games
- A few of our favorite strains: 25 ranked reviews from our critics
- Snoop Dogg smoked marijuana at White House, he says (video)
- Lessons from Amsterdam: Beware the aftermath of pot tourists, Colorado
- Seattle police and pot citations: trending toward homelessness, race
- Snoop Dogg smoked marijuana at White House, he says (video)
- Growing weed from coal
- 20 top tweets: Why people don’t like N.J. Gov. Chris Christie visiting Colo.
- Breckenridge Cannabis Club staying for now; pot sales possible ballot issue
The Cannabist on Twitter
- Baby bald eagle dies near E-470 in Commerce City Jul. 24, 2014
- Colorado wildfires: West Slope blaze grows to 8,000 acres Jul. 24, 2014
- Plane crashes while landing in Taiwan, killing 48 Jul. 24, 2014
- Arizona governor wants review of execution process Jul. 24, 2014
- Australia: All Ukraine victims may not be found Jul. 24, 2014
- Testimony ends in trial over $2B Clippers sale Jul. 24, 2014
- Official: Williston air quality OK after fire Jul. 24, 2014
- Nunn and Perdue shift to fall battle of outsiders Jul. 24, 2014
- Federal judge declares Colorado ban on gay marriage unconstitutional Jul. 24, 2014
- Jorge De La Rosa once again dominant at home as Rockies beat Nats Jul. 24, 2014