COLUMN: Medical marijuana helps me (and thousands like me) live comfortably with uncomfortable conditions, and I’m hoping that eventually New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and his advisers will widen the range of conditions that medical marijuana should and can cover.
In 2002, Whoopi Goldberg became one of a very elite group of artists who have won the Grammy (“Whoopi Goldberg,” 1985), the Academy Award (“Ghost,” 1991), the Golden Globe (“The Color Purple,” 1985 and “Ghost,” 1991), the Emmy (as host of AMC’s “Beyond Tara: The Extraordinary Life of Hattie McDaniel,” 2002 and a Daytime Emmy for “The View” in 2009) and a Tony (Producer of “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” 2002). She is equally well-known for her humanitarian efforts on behalf of children, the homeless, human rights, education, substance abuse and the battle against AIDS, as well as many other causes and charities. Among her many charitable activities, Whoopi is a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations.
Whoopi has appeared in many films such as ““Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Sister Act,” ““Corrina, Corrina,” “Boys on the Side,” “Eddie,” “The Associate” “How Stella Got Her Groove Back,” “Girl, Interrupted,” and “Rat Race.” She has voiced characters in such animated features as “The Lion King,” “Racing Stripes,” “Doogal,” and “Everyone’s Hero.” She was part of Tyler Perry’s all-star film adaption of “For Colored Girls…” and will be seen in the upcoming Lifetime Original Movie, “A Day Late and a Dollar Short,” which she also executive produces, as well as Paramount/Nickelodeon Movies’ “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” which opens next Summer and the feature film “Big Stone Gap.” She produced the documentary short, “Coach,” about legendary coach C. Vivian Stringer, for ESPN’s “Nine for IX” series. She produced and made her directorial debut with the documentary, “Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley,” which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival and premiered on HBO in November 2013.
On television she has appeared on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” hosted her own syndicated late-night talk show, starred in the NBC sitcom, “Whoopi,” which she executive produced, as well as the television movies, “It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie” and Showtime’s “Good Fences,” which she co-produced with co-star Danny Glover. She produced and appeared on Nick Jr’s “Whoopi’s Littleburg” and guest starred opposite Benjamin Bratt in A&E’s “The Cleaner”. Whoopi most recently had recurring roles on ABC’s “666 Park Avenue,” and in the FOX comedy series “Glee.” She currently appears on ABC’s Emmy Award-winning “The View,” for which she has won a Daytime Emmy Award.
As she has in every other facet of her career, Whoopi has made her mark as a producer on television and on Broadway including SISTER ACT, which is currently playing throughout the world. In 1992, Whoopi made her debut as an author with her first children’s book, “Alice.” Her second literary endeavor, simply entitled “Book,” became a bestseller in the U.S. and around the world. Hyperion Books published “Whoopi’s Big Book of Manners” in 2006 and launched the “Sugar Plum Ballerinas” book series for young readers in 2008 with “Plum Fantastic,” followed by “Toeshoe Trouble,” “Perfectly Prima,” “Terrible Terrel,” “Sugar Plums to the Rescue!,” and “Dancing Diva.” “Is It Just Me?” is her most recent book for adults.
Among her many awards and honors, Whoopi has placed prints of her hands, feet and braids in the forecourt of the famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the Kodak Theatre.
Recent posts by Whoopi Goldberg
My vape pen and I maintain a mostly private relationship. Her ability to help me live comfortably with glaucoma makes her one of the more important figures in my day to day.
Three people were found guilty Tuesday of growing marijuana, but they also were exonerated of more serious charges in a widely-watched federal drug case in a state where medical and recreational marijuana is legal.
Disgraced former Sony chief Amy Pascal — whose emails were leaked amid the Sony hack — was getting ready to move into her new office when she noticed its peculiar smell. Or perhaps it wasn’t so peculiar, given its previous tenant Seth Rogen.
Bio-Diesel usually has two distinct waves for me: Holy $%*# I’m feeling it, followed by a more attentive high and heavy body stone. The former can be a shock, as if it shakes your head like a giant Magic 8 Ball with the singular answer “Reply hazy try again.” The latter is ideal for poker, so I usually smoke 30 minutes prior to our 8 p.m. game.
The world of weed is growing every day. Here’s a compendium of marijuana terms, from the plant to the many ways to consume it and the cannabis culture that surrounds it.
The Cannabist’s most popular marijuana recipes from 2014, including making cannabutter, and tasty treats like mac ‘n cheese, brownies, infused Thai iced tea, fruit smoothies and other appetizers, entrees and desserts.
Get The Cannabist Newsletter
Staff picks on the Web
- A few of our favorite strains: 25 ranked reviews from our critics
- 12 vape pens that caught our attention (reviews)
- Kitchen Kush: The best cannabutter in America? Yep, in just 7 easy steps
- Texas lawmaker: 'God did not make a mistake when he made marijuana'
- Calculating THC dosage for weed-infused recipes
- Former Broncos TE Nate Jackson says NFL needs to allow medical marijuana
- ‘Smoke Weed Everyday,’ taunts hacked digital traffic sign at Montana college
- The best weed-loving, roommate-having, rap-worshiping joke of 2015?
- Why new White House drug policy chief opposes medical pot, legalization
- The Week in Weed: Tommy Chong dabbles and 14 more cannabis pix
The Cannabist on Twitter
- What's in a name? In Five Points, restoration means much to activists Mar. 5, 2015
- DOC: Pardoned killer headed back to prison after Colorado Springs DUI arrest Mar. 5, 2015
- Last Ebola patient is released in Liberia Mar. 5, 2015
- University of Wyoming announces 2015 Hall of Fame inductees Mar. 5, 2015
- Source: Obama counsel not aware of Clinton's email practice Mar. 5, 2015
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia to talk Iran, Yemen instability Mar. 5, 2015
- European stocks advance ahead of update from ECB's Draghi Mar. 5, 2015
- SF hospital performing kidney swap chain involving 12 people Mar. 5, 2015
- Denver Public Schools: Employee paychecks stolen through email scam Mar. 5, 2015
- NYC mayor to tout housing plan to business leaders Mar. 5, 2015