In Whoopi Goldberg’s debut column for The Cannabist, the entertainer shares her vape pen’s many virtues: “My vape pen and I maintain a mostly private relationship. Her ability to help me live comfortably with glaucoma makes her one of the more important figures in my day to day.”
In 2002, Whoopi Goldberg became one of a very elite group of artists who have won the Grammy (“Whoopi Goldberg,” 1985), the Academy Award (“Ghost,” 1991), the Golden Globe (“The Color Purple,” 1985 and “Ghost,” 1991), the Emmy (as host of AMC’s “Beyond Tara: The Extraordinary Life of Hattie McDaniel,” 2002 and a Daytime Emmy for “The View” in 2009) and a Tony (Producer of “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” 2002). She is equally well-known for her humanitarian efforts on behalf of children, the homeless, human rights, education, substance abuse and the battle against AIDS, as well as many other causes and charities. Among her many charitable activities, Whoopi is a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations.
Whoopi has appeared in many films such as ““Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Sister Act,” ““Corrina, Corrina,” “Boys on the Side,” “Eddie,” “The Associate” “How Stella Got Her Groove Back,” “Girl, Interrupted,” and “Rat Race.” She has voiced characters in such animated features as “The Lion King,” “Racing Stripes,” “Doogal,” and “Everyone’s Hero.” She was part of Tyler Perry’s all-star film adaption of “For Colored Girls…” and will be seen in the upcoming Lifetime Original Movie, “A Day Late and a Dollar Short,” which she also executive produces, as well as Paramount/Nickelodeon Movies’ “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” which opens next Summer and the feature film “Big Stone Gap.” She produced the documentary short, “Coach,” about legendary coach C. Vivian Stringer, for ESPN’s “Nine for IX” series. She produced and made her directorial debut with the documentary, “Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley,” which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival and premiered on HBO in November 2013.
On television she has appeared on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” hosted her own syndicated late-night talk show, starred in the NBC sitcom, “Whoopi,” which she executive produced, as well as the television movies, “It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie” and Showtime’s “Good Fences,” which she co-produced with co-star Danny Glover. She produced and appeared on Nick Jr’s “Whoopi’s Littleburg” and guest starred opposite Benjamin Bratt in A&E’s “The Cleaner”. Whoopi most recently had recurring roles on ABC’s “666 Park Avenue,” and in the FOX comedy series “Glee.” She currently appears on ABC’s Emmy Award-winning “The View,” for which she has won a Daytime Emmy Award.
As she has in every other facet of her career, Whoopi has made her mark as a producer on television and on Broadway including SISTER ACT, which is currently playing throughout the world. In 1992, Whoopi made her debut as an author with her first children’s book, “Alice.” Her second literary endeavor, simply entitled “Book,” became a bestseller in the U.S. and around the world. Hyperion Books published “Whoopi’s Big Book of Manners” in 2006 and launched the “Sugar Plum Ballerinas” book series for young readers in 2008 with “Plum Fantastic,” followed by “Toeshoe Trouble,” “Perfectly Prima,” “Terrible Terrel,” “Sugar Plums to the Rescue!,” and “Dancing Diva.” “Is It Just Me?” is her most recent book for adults.
Among her many awards and honors, Whoopi has placed prints of her hands, feet and braids in the forecourt of the famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the Kodak Theatre.
Recent posts by Whoopi Goldberg
Authorities in East Texas said Tuesday that they have cleared more than two dozen marijuana fields that were discovered over the weekend in the woods and which contained about 100,000 plants worth an estimated $175 million.
Cannabis connoisseurs: New market emerging to help educate buyers Sponsored by The Green Solution
As Colorado entrepreneurs look for creative ways to meet the needs of higher end consumers, marijuana-themed versions of wine tastings and food pairings are emerging in the growing pot tourism marketplace.
Grandma’s got a brand new (dime) bag Sponsored by The Green Solution
People are always asking for recommendations for good daytime smoke that won’t knock them out, and Agent Orange definitely delivers in that regard. “As we stepped into the coffee shop equivalent of the feminist bookstore in ‘Portlandia,’ I knew two things: we were in Boulder and I wasn’t nearly high enough.”
Killer Queen is a mostly sativa hybrid that had my husband and I kind of wiped — in a good way, but still. Here’s our killer pot brownie recipe. Serve them up with fresh berries and whipped cream.
The paper’s message was straightforward and — surprising to many — thoroughly in line with what many marijuana activists have been saying for decades. While some readers may have been taken aback by the July 26 editorial, activists from D.C. to Denver say they saw this moment coming.
Get The Cannabist Newsletter
Staff picks on the Web
- Bill O'Reilly's pot poll: Think he expected this result?
- A few of our favorite strains: 25 ranked reviews from our critics
- My sober experience with marijuana at Denver's biggest music festival
- Kitchen Kush: The best cannabutter in America? Yep, in just 7 easy steps
- Is marijuana legalization inevitable?
- Cannabist calendar: More than 60 marijuana events in August 2014
- Weed everywhere in Colorado, yet black market for marijuana thriving
- Pot shops likely to adopt more robust marketing tactics
- Bill O’Reilly’s pot poll: Think he expected this result?
- Huffington: Let’s fight to change drug laws with an understanding of science
The Cannabist on Twitter
- Sheriff completes Black Forest fire report, won't release it yet Jul. 31, 2014
- Colorado State Sen. Steve King charged with three felonies Jul. 31, 2014
- Colorado braces for launch of driver's licenses for immigrants Jul. 31, 2014
- Denver jail inmate assaulted in courtroom files federal lawsuit Jul. 31, 2014
- Parole denied to convict who killed actor Kelsey Grammer's sister Jul. 31, 2014
- Israel calls up another 16,000 reserves Jul. 31, 2014
- AG: Colorado law firm getting paid too much in foreclosure settlement Jul. 31, 2014
- Hochman: Louis Vasquez has admirer in former Broncos RB Terrell Davis Jul. 31, 2014
- Denver judge OKs Van Gilder insider-trading settlement Jul. 31, 2014
- Foreign buyers stoke $435M in Colorado, Wyoming Niobrara shale sales Jul. 31, 2014