COLUMN: Medical marijuana helps me (and thousands like me) live comfortably with uncomfortable conditions, and I’m hoping that eventually New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and his advisers will widen the range of conditions that medical marijuana should and can cover.
In 2002, Whoopi Goldberg became one of a very elite group of artists who have won the Grammy (“Whoopi Goldberg,” 1985), the Academy Award (“Ghost,” 1991), the Golden Globe (“The Color Purple,” 1985 and “Ghost,” 1991), the Emmy (as host of AMC’s “Beyond Tara: The Extraordinary Life of Hattie McDaniel,” 2002 and a Daytime Emmy for “The View” in 2009) and a Tony (Producer of “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” 2002). She is equally well-known for her humanitarian efforts on behalf of children, the homeless, human rights, education, substance abuse and the battle against AIDS, as well as many other causes and charities. Among her many charitable activities, Whoopi is a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations.
Whoopi has appeared in many films such as ““Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Sister Act,” ““Corrina, Corrina,” “Boys on the Side,” “Eddie,” “The Associate” “How Stella Got Her Groove Back,” “Girl, Interrupted,” and “Rat Race.” She has voiced characters in such animated features as “The Lion King,” “Racing Stripes,” “Doogal,” and “Everyone’s Hero.” She was part of Tyler Perry’s all-star film adaption of “For Colored Girls…” and will be seen in the upcoming Lifetime Original Movie, “A Day Late and a Dollar Short,” which she also executive produces, as well as Paramount/Nickelodeon Movies’ “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” which opens next Summer and the feature film “Big Stone Gap.” She produced the documentary short, “Coach,” about legendary coach C. Vivian Stringer, for ESPN’s “Nine for IX” series. She produced and made her directorial debut with the documentary, “Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley,” which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival and premiered on HBO in November 2013.
On television she has appeared on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” hosted her own syndicated late-night talk show, starred in the NBC sitcom, “Whoopi,” which she executive produced, as well as the television movies, “It’s a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie” and Showtime’s “Good Fences,” which she co-produced with co-star Danny Glover. She produced and appeared on Nick Jr’s “Whoopi’s Littleburg” and guest starred opposite Benjamin Bratt in A&E’s “The Cleaner”. Whoopi most recently had recurring roles on ABC’s “666 Park Avenue,” and in the FOX comedy series “Glee.” She currently appears on ABC’s Emmy Award-winning “The View,” for which she has won a Daytime Emmy Award.
As she has in every other facet of her career, Whoopi has made her mark as a producer on television and on Broadway including SISTER ACT, which is currently playing throughout the world. In 1992, Whoopi made her debut as an author with her first children’s book, “Alice.” Her second literary endeavor, simply entitled “Book,” became a bestseller in the U.S. and around the world. Hyperion Books published “Whoopi’s Big Book of Manners” in 2006 and launched the “Sugar Plum Ballerinas” book series for young readers in 2008 with “Plum Fantastic,” followed by “Toeshoe Trouble,” “Perfectly Prima,” “Terrible Terrel,” “Sugar Plums to the Rescue!,” and “Dancing Diva.” “Is It Just Me?” is her most recent book for adults.
Among her many awards and honors, Whoopi has placed prints of her hands, feet and braids in the forecourt of the famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in front of the Kodak Theatre.
Recent posts by Whoopi Goldberg
My vape pen and I maintain a mostly private relationship. Her ability to help me live comfortably with glaucoma makes her one of the more important figures in my day to day.
The three remaining defendants in the case of the so-called Kettle Falls Five have been sentenced to federal prison for growing marijuana in a place where both the medical and recreational use of marijuana are legal under state laws.
Nearly two years into what Gov. John Hickenlooper called this “great social experiment” with marijuana, Colorado can no longer be given a pass on lack of enforcement with pesticide use.
Bio-Diesel usually has two distinct waves for me: Holy $%*# I’m feeling it, followed by a more attentive high and heavy body stone. The former can be a shock, as if it shakes your head like a giant Magic 8 Ball with the singular answer “Reply hazy try again.” The latter is ideal for poker, so I usually smoke 30 minutes prior to our 8 p.m. game.
Colorado seed developer Ben Holmes will soon apply for a U.S. patent on a cannabis strain. If it is awarded, the patent for Holmes’ medical-grade Otto II strain would be the first to protect a cannabis plant.
This marijuana-infused Mama Leone’s Soup is an all-time favorite of chef Laurie Wolf’s, and it’s a snap to make. The easy-to-follow Video Recipe is here.
Get The Cannabist Newsletter
Staff picks: Elsewhere on the Web
- How to make cannabutter in 7 steps
- A few of our favorite strains: 25 ranked reviews from our critics
- Colorado man gets prison time, loses plane, Bentley and BMW for pot flight
- Get educated about edibles: Eight tips for getting right dose
- Colorado's largest pot grower sued by two consumers over pesticide use
- Feds: Fall raids in Colorado upend illegal pot operations
- Wine & Weed: Pot tourism goes upscale in the Colorado Rockies
- Supremely stoned Ohio man calls cops with marijuana complaint
- Seven arrested in extortion plot to grow marijuana in northern Colorado
- ‘Stoner Hill’ fencing removed at Commons Park in Denver
The Cannabist on Twitter
- NFL Week 5 Preview: Seahawks, Bengals matchup highlights slate Oct. 8, 2015
- ASU coach says CU could "easily" have beaten Oregon last weekend Oct. 8, 2015
- WATCH: Broncos vs. Raiders Week 5 Pregame Show Oct. 8, 2015
- Who has the edge in Broncos vs. Raiders? Oct. 8, 2015
- Video shows inmate's struggle with deputies before death Oct. 8, 2015
- Denver Zoo: Baby zebra born in front of visitors Thursday Oct. 8, 2015
- Amazon challenges Etsy with Handmade at Amazon Oct. 8, 2015
- Gun found during drifters' arrest in tantra teacher's death Oct. 8, 2015
- Loveland police: High school student had BB gun on campus Oct. 8, 2015
- Jefferson County dad held on $2K bond after toddlers wandered away Oct. 8, 2015