Denver firefighters extinguished a fire in a two-story garage behind a Sheridan home Friday where the owners had apparently set up a marijuana grow operation.
A 911 call reporting the fire was made at 3:19 a.m. on South Bryant Street, near Hampden Avenue and Federal Boulevard, said Melissa Taylor, Denver fire spokeswoman.
The blaze was put out fairly quickly but had already caused extensive damage, Taylor said. No one was hurt, she said.
Firefighters discovered marijuana plants in the garage, she said.
“We’re working with Sheridan Police Department on the investigation,” Taylor said. “The primary question in this investigation is whether this is a legal or illegal grow operation.”
Colorado residents are allowed to grow a certain amount of marijuana plants at their homes, she said. Part of the investigation will be whether they were within legal limits, she said.
Another issue will address how the lights and extension cords were used in the garage and whether that meets Sheridan building codes.
“Quite frankly there is a reason for the codes. Marijuana grow operations do require a lot more electricity,” Taylor said.
An overloaded system could “absolutely” cause a fire, she said.