John Baxter, the county’s attorney who filed the injunction request, confirmed the decision to The Denver Post, but declined to say much more.
“I don’t have a comment on it,” he said.
The Cortez Journal first reported the judge’s decision. The newspaper says complaints from more than two dozen neighbors prompted the request for an injunction.
Stoner is a townsite that lies on Colorado 145 about 65 miles northwest of Durango.
Event organizer Chris Jetter, of Aurora, told The Denver Post he was prepared for the decision and had already relocated his private, invitation-only marijuana smoking competition.
“We’re not disclosing the location,” Jetter said. “The only people that will see the actual location will be registered invitees.”
According to the group’s Facebook page, the new site will be 2.5 hours south of Denver and will be announced to participants “a few days” beforehand.
The gathering will be held July 31 and Aug. 1. The Bong-a-Thon website says tickets can be secured for a donation price of $80 to $420.
Jetter said he believes county officials got word of the event after he filed a request for amplified sound.
Somehow, he said, the county figured out the gathering was the Bong-A-Thon.
“Am I upset about it? No,” Jetter said. “It’s another day in the office in the cannabis industry.”
Jetter said the event was once “busted” in 1999 and went on a hiatus before returning in 2010.
“The event is about having the most fun you’ve ever had,” Jetter said.
Jesse Paul: 303-954-1733, firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter.com/JesseAPaul