(Hyoung Chang, Denver Post file)

Bong-a-thon in southwest Colorado faces court injunction

The pot party is scheduled for July 31-Aug. 2 on private land near the townsite of Stoner. (Yes, really)

CORTEZ — Commissioners in a southwest Colorado county are seeking an injunction to stop a bong-a-thon event that failed to secure a permit but appears to be proceeding anyway.

The Cortez Journal reports complaints from more than two dozen neighbors prompted a unanimous vote from Montezuma County’s three commissioners to have county attorney John Baxter request a court order to stop the event.

A planning official says an incomplete application meant commissioners denied a permit last week for the Colorado Invitational Bong-a-Thon, a pot party that features events like competitive marijuana smoking.

The event is scheduled for July 31 to Aug. 2 on land owned by Ted Clark, with an access point off Colorado 145 near the townsite of Stoner.

Event organizer Chris Jetter could not be reached for comment.

Baxter said a fine for holding the event in violation of the county’s land use code could cost up to $1,000.
___

Information from: Cortez Journal