GREELEY, Colo. — A licensed marijuana caregiver has been convicted of letting others make hash oil through a dangerous process that caused an explosion at her home.
A Weld County jury on Wednesday found 54-year-old Lavonne Bessler guilty of processing or manufacturing marijuana concentrate, a felony. Prosecutors say she allowed two other people to make the oil using butane, causing the Aug. 11, 2013, explosion. The two people had severe burns and a 7-year-old suffered minor injuries in the blast. Bessler wasn’t home.
Prosecutors say Bessler admitted using butane to create hash oil but denied letting others use her equipment to make it on her property.
She faces up to six years in prison when she is sentenced next month.
The process of making hash oil has caused several similar explosions in Colorado and around the country.