Longmont police are investigating how a 2-year-old girl ended up with THC in her system on Tuesday, according to Cmdr. Jeff Satur.
He said the child’s parents took her to Longmont United Hospital on Tuesday afternoon because she had become lethargic and acted oddly during a trip to the grocery store, Satur said. A toxicology test was performed and her urine tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.
Satur said the girl’s parents said they do not use drugs, but her mom found her eating a cookie that she had reportedly found outside the family’s apartment complex on the 200 block of East Eighth Avenue about a half hour before the family headed to the store.
“She told (the girl) to drop it and the kid threw it back in the grass,” Satur said.
Satur said a search of the area and the family’s home failed to turn up anything and the parents will be tested for the drug, as well.
“At this point we are believing the family,” he said.
Police are working with social service workers on the case. There is another child in the home who was unharmed. Satur said the toddler is fine.
Pierrette J. Shields can be reached at 303-684-5273 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.